The Torch Relay and May Fayre


What an Exciting and Blessed weekend we have had ....!

The Olympic Flame arrived in Swansea for an overnight stay, met by thousands who lined the streets, and enjoyed very special celebrations at Castle Square or Singleton Park. It was a real thrill to see the flame flickering through the trees as the torch bearer ran into the park, up onto the stage and set the cauldron alight.


Earlier in the day, here at All Souls Church we held the annual May Fayre, offering books and cakes, plants and bric-a-brac and Olympic style games on the green. But an extra special part of the day was the Tycoch Torch Relay. 

Here was a great opportunity to combine the excitement of the Olympic Torch arrival with the annual celebrations of the May Fayre. It was also  an opportunity for the  children from Sketty School to run with their own Olympic Torch. The torch was designed by Jess Evans who ran the first relay along with Celia around the streets of Tycoch. 


So the flame continues on its way, from Bracelet Bay through streets lined with more people than expected at the early hour and finally leaving Swansea around 9am this morning. We were lucky enough to get a second chance to see the torch as it came quite close to us, making its way up Vivian Road where there was another ‘kiss’ as the flame was passed to the next bearer.

The Idea for the Torch Relay arose from a conversation between the Vicar and Churchwarden, Celia Hall. The Vicar as a governor at Sketty School knew of the competition to design the schools own Olympic Torch. Celia, it turns out, was the Welsh Women’s 100 metre champion and won with an excellent time of 12.5 seconds.

It was a proud moment  for the children as they passed ‘the flame’ from one to another. With stiff competition on the day, there was not the greatest of turnouts, but those who did had a great time carrying the torch and waving to passers by who cheered them along the way.

One young man that took particular pride in the occasion was Dylan Gwynn, grandson of our vicar, who also managed to get up close and hold the real torch on Sunday morning when the Olympic Flame continued on its journey.